Sunday, April 6, 2014

PROMPT

                       Most of us rely on others when we are among a group of people. We experience a different perspective in a group then when we are alone. In a group of people a lot of us, feel there's no need to panic when something happens around us. As the author Carol Tavris focus in the article "In groups we shrink"  how people in groups and others alone react very differently in a variety of serious situation.  She tells us that when someone is alone are more likely to be faster and alert to act then in a group of people. From personal experience and  facts from the reading I think she's right.
                       I remember a few years ago, when I was riding in the bus heading home. Staring out the window and suddenly I started to see smoke going up the sky. As we get closer to the smoke, I discovered there was a building on fire. No one was at the location yet. Everyone in the bus was arise to see the fire, some started to take their phones out but not to call for help but to video tape the incident. Unfortunately minutes later people seated back down and everything was back to normal.
                      Tavris states that psychologists call this behavior " diffusion of responsibility" or "social loafing". That people in groups don't want to take the responsibility of taking an action because they feel like someone else have done so already. So they just hung around watching or some try to ignore and move on like it didn't exits. Whereas individual have no choice but to react rapidly to a situation knowing that no one is around to depend on to act but them. For instance, when I was driving Last week about 11 pm , I saw this older men had fall down on the floor of sidewalk. There was no else around but me without any hesitation, I stopped and helped the guy on a ride home.
                      We have to start with our self to change this habit. We must  stop depending on each other to act. This laziness would only make things worst then what they already is. Its a behavior that convince our self to change. We have to understand that even though we among others, we still have to act as if we were alone. Even if we know or feel strongly like someone else has already taken care of it. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Maher, I’m Rajiv from an ENG 220 class and I’m writing to offer you my advice on this particular writing assignment, as well as learn along the way. Thank you for allowing me this opportunity to read your work, hopefully with my input you can improve its overall quality.
    Great job analyzing the article, there’s a good flow to the essay having understood its main points. I could tell that you strictly followed the guidelines of the assignment as it’s evident in your writing. I really liked that you provided two different personal experiences to support your claim; they certainly were appropriate and connected well with your thesis. However, I think you may want to restructure your introduction so that your thesis is easier to identify. Even though I understood that you agree with Tavris’s point(s), I think having a clearer thesis statement (claim) regarding your position would make what you’re proving more evident as the paper flows. Additionally, be careful with the paragraph structuring. The ending of the second paragraph for whatever reasons continues to the start of the third, you may want explain the scenario of your personal experience before proceeding. For explain, the first sentence of the third paragraph should’ve been the second-to-last sentence of the second paragraph, followed by an analysis/critical thinking sentence or two. Remember each body paragraph needs its own topic sentence. Lastly, in your conclusion, you should restate your thesis (claim) to tie everything together, so the reflecting process is easily read. Overall, this paper simply needs a few adjustments and it will be very comprehensive.

    Thanks again for posting this. I learned a lot about the behavior “diffusion of responsibility” or “social loafing”. Now I can refer to its scientific definition when I witness it first-hand. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I'm Hamraj Rooplall from Dr. Justin Rogers- Cooper's Seminar in Teaching Writing ENG 220 and I'm writing because this course provide me with lots of knowledge to help student who need guidance during the writing process of an essay or any pieces of writing. Thank you for letting me post on your blog.

    Firstly, I will like to say great job on your idea about “experience a different perspective in a group then when we are alone”. I agree that's a significant idea, and a good way to focus your response...I also liked how you two great topic sentence in your bodies paragraph.
    I think you could develop some of your response, however, by giving more personal experience and example..... I notice that you have (4) great paragraphs. Perhaps you could bring in a personal story - have you ever experience that connected to Tavris “social loafing” and you could write more about exactly what you are arguing about.


    Your second paragraph could be expanded. I like your idea of when mention about the smoke in the bus. Do you think you could say more about it by elaborating on other vehicle that gives smoke? I also wonder what you meant by “I stopped and helped the guy on a ride home I think that phrase might work better if you defined the meaning of it in the next sentence. For example, what the guy name, the location, suggesting an age group, and was he sickly or..? This information gives your reader more ideas about what you are talking about and please give proper citation (MLA or APA) you will gain more credits for that.


    Thanks again for letting me posting this. I have learned a lot on your reading. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete